Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Today's Woman and Work? 2 Thessalonians 3:10

Today's woman and work, what does 2 Thessalonians offer?

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." Firstly, this comment is directed toward man and not woman. Does that mean that women are excluded? I would answer yes, but that does not mean that women do not have work to do in God's Kingdom. Certainly, God does not want his people to be idle, not does busybodies 2 Th 3:11. Women and wives have a special role and position in God's Kingdom. We can read about this further in 1 Timothy 2:11 on the subject of instruction on worship.  "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." I agree and I pray that in my blogging I am not sinning. I am quiet in my learning and I do not teach or preach or have authority over a man. I am speaking to women/wives/mothers and I do so quietly and discretely. I realize that I am caught up in this 'Selfie Culture'. It is difficult  and I must remind myself everyday to walk with the Lord, to let Him guide me.
The most difficult problem I have is when other people ask me what I do. This is the "What do you Do?" Culture; where people are valued for what they do rather than who they are; unless they are a member of a certain group whose life style trumps everything else.  You see, we are groupies too, we group think and this is dangerous for women and for the Church. I will discuss this on a later post.
In this blog, I want to discuss work. Work, work work, that is what Americans do, right? For the most part, this is how Americans identify themselves as mentioned above. Today's woman is protesting she cannot work the same jobs as men and get the same pay and prestige. What is work in God's Kingdom? In God's Kingdom, women, not married, work only for the Lord "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men." Col 3: 23. As for married women, you work for the Lord too in your role as a wife and mother, you work for your husbands and children which effectively is working for the Lord. A wife and mother has enormous responsibilities; namely bringing into this world offspring and raising them into upstanding citizens and of course Christians. The Christians work is for the Lord, and your work is to be salt and light. Matthew 5:13-16... "because there is no need to worry about your life" Matthew 6:25. Jesus talks about roles and role fulfillment. He talks about being wise, watchful and prepared, and making the most of what you have even if it was not yours to begin with... The Parable of the Talents.
You see, we worry too much about work and working...  "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men." Col 3: 23. Mostly, Jesus asks us to rest in Him and to know that the last will be first and the first will be the last. Matthew 20:16

No comments:

Post a Comment