Thursday, April 24, 2014

Family is Important... 1Ti 5:8

Family is important. I am sure everyone will agree. Yet, as I listen to my favorite Christian radio programs, and I talk to people hearing their issues, I am saddened to hear so many stories about broken families. I am not just referring to divorce, but broken in many places and especially broken in relations with immediate and extended family: parents, spouses, grandparents, parent in-laws, brothers and sisters, cousins and aunts and uncles... how can this be? How can Christian families be suffering in this way? How can Christians find themselves homeless, struggling to make ends meet, or not have the care of extended family readily available when they need them. How is the possible?
Are we as Americans so embedded in this culture of 'mine', that we cannot even share with loved ones? We have been ingrained with the idea of private property, this is mine, my house, you are under my roof! Get out and get your own life... my answer to that "I thought I had my own life, my own family, my own support group." Yet, many Americans think that relying on family is a transgression in this culture of individuality and self determinism. This is a tragedy. The rebuttal is usually, "I cannot live under the same roof with them, I need my space, I want my own things, I don't want what they want, nor do I like what they do, I am different, I am my own person. If you hear that, if you say that, you are not yet of the Kingdom of God. As children of God, we need to be together, we need to share our lives, our homes, our food, our clothing with our family. If all families practiced this, the world (the US) would be a better place. If we want a better life for ourselves and children, then we need to forgive each other, love each other and live together under one roof, practically and spiritually! This... the State cannot and should not provide.
1 Ti 5:8 " If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." This quote from 1 Timothy is not meant to point fingers at anyone, wives/mothers, nor to condemn or to criticize women; but to get people 'Christians' to wake up and stop living as independent islands from each other and especially from family. Today's popular culture is all about individualism and independence = freedom in all forms of self expression: the driving force behind this is none other than the 'serpent' whose desire is to usurp the Lord by encouraging lawlessness in man by having him seek self satisfaction and self preservation at any cost. Americans have developed over the last 40 years the idea that any hindrance of self expression and or opportunity is now a moral wrong which is essentially taking evil and turning it to good; the lie that the serpent told Eve, the self is superior to anyone. Hence, Americans are determined to be disconnected from anyone that does not respect their self absorbed, prioritized schedule of life style experiences. Where could family possibly fit into that kind of society?  I beg you to seek the Lord and read His Words. There is the best advice of all. Not only for women, (wives and mothers) but also for husbands and fathers. 1Ti 3:2 "Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?"

1 comment:

  1. This American lifestyle of self-expression and self-determination is almost an idolatry of self. It is the culmination of the warped ideas that selfishness is acceptable - in fact it's truly freedom. But nothing could be further from the truth than that. families are supposed to be societies first level of help for those that are down -and-out, not some tyrannous "nanny-state" thousands of miles away. But since we have destroyed our families and embraced the worship of "self" in all it's forms, all we have left is the welfare state. We could turn to God, but doing that conflicts with the idolatry of "self" so government becomes the only parent/friend/family we have left. And as history shows, government is a stern and dangerous task-master.

    ReplyDelete