Monday, October 30, 2017

No Condemnation for those in Christ Jesus!

Self condemnation keeps us from growing in our walk with the Lord God our Father in Heaven. Such self condemnation arises because though we don't want to sin, we struggle with sin. Often it is that struggle that brings about self condemnation which can feel like an unbearable weight. Why? Well, we are being rightly convicted of repeated sin in the flesh by the Holy Spirit ... that's the weight we feel and it is by the same Holy Spirit that we are unburdened and set free through confession and repentance. Yes, set free and free indeed in Jesus Christ. Without Jesus, we are but filthy rags bound by the law of sin and death.

Of course, our life cannot be one spent or filled only with confession and repentance every minute of the day as we may sin at any moment though not wanting to. What shall we say then?

In Romans 7:7-25 NIV, we read ~ Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.c For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

When the Holy Spirit rebukes us (we feel a weight on our heart); it is as when a parent scolds their  child for their own good. So when the Holy Spirit does that for our own good, we in humility and with a sincere desire to be free of that weight we turn to/come before God, declaring our sin 'that weight' and repent (cast it off by the same Holy Spirit), knowing that God's love for us and intention for us is to be free from the law of sin and death... through His Son Jesus Christ so that all Mercy and Grace are ours for all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment