Wednesday, January 27, 2016

There is only one thing to boast about ~ Being Made Alive in Christ!

Yes, there is truly only one thing to boast about, being made alive in Christ Jesus. Many of slip in our walk with the Lord. We tell others about our works so that they can feel ashamed and we can feel better about our intellect, our good health, our wealth and or good fortune, our good judgement, our better choices and so on. What does that boasting look like? That is a good question.

Here are some examples:
"I read only those books, I think and or consider/feel this/that is right".
"My doctor said I have very good genes/ bones, good skin, a good heart, a good immune system"
"I put my money into safe investments, I keep those kinds of things to be prepared, I don't take risks"
"I have a secure job or income, I have a nice home, I live a good neighborhood, I am just lucky I guess"
" I think that I am right and he/she is wrong, I think you should do this/that, I wouldn't do that or go there."
"I buy and eat only organic, I drive an SUV, I prefer to shop there they have better quality, I can't wear anything but that kind of product or I use only that service, I go to that church, I listen to only that advice, I send /sent my kids to that school, I graduated with a degree, I give money to people who look like they need it because it makes me feel good, or I don't give because most people don't deserve it, and or I did that, and I will do that, and the list goes on...

Where is boasting about God's works in your life?
Where is the telling how you were made alive in Christ?

Where are the stories of how you hated someone (had very bad thoughts) for being naive or ignorant or too slow or too smart or too pretty or too happy...or how you waved your hand at another driver for cutting you off or spat on (wished ill on someone) the car next to yours in the parking lot as you supposed they surely scratched it and your remorse when you saw it was a man with a handicap or senior with a walker, or young woman with a load of groceries and three children with the youngest who couldn't keep the door in the wind. And, in that moment of your remorse for such thoughts/actions you reached out to the Lord and asked for forgiveness and he washed away your sin! Are you telling those stories? You should be.

We are dead in our transgressions. There is only one thing to boast about, being made alive in Christ.

"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts... But, because of His great love for us, God who is rich in mercy made us alive with Christ... it is by grace you have been saved. For God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms" ~  Ephesians  2:1-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment