Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Why Say The Act of Contrition...


Have you ever said the act of contrition? O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.

Why say the Act of Contrition? Its for our own good and better that we weep in professing the act of contrition. It cleanses us and puts us back on track... in right relation to Jesus Christ. 

You know, the word penance derives from Old French and Latin paenitentia, both of which derive from the same root meaning repentance, the desire to be forgiven... and in this desire of repenting we turn from sin and turn to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

This is easy to say but not always easy to do... alone. So, we confess to one another and bear each other's burden so that we can be renewed, restored in our right relation with Jesus Christ. Why is it not easy to do... repent? 

Because, in a fallen world, its easier to do what everyone else is doing.... sinning. Its easy to laugh at vulgar jokes, drink too much at a party, spend too much money at material things, indulge in overeating, looking at filthy content in films, including violence and indulge in violence, indulge in mocking, indulge in yourself thinking you deserve a better husband, wife, house, car, vacation, etc...  If you continue down that road never repenting, never speak an act of contrition, never having a contrite heart... oh what woes lie ahead!

"My hands have made both heaven and earth; they and everything in them are mine. I, the LORD, have spoken! “I will bless those who have humble and contrite hearts, who tremble at my word". ~ Isaiah 66:2

No comments:

Post a Comment